Good Singaporean Food in the Bay Area - Appetizers
After having lived in Singapore for about 20 yrs and the Bay Area for 6, here are a couple of places I've been able to get my usual fixes. Check out the entree, dessert and drinks list too.
- •Roti prataLots of places serve this but my personal favorite is here.
- •Kaya toastPales in comparison to true Singaporean versions, but at least it's here.
- •Chai tow kwayDidn't expect to find this here, and not at any of the other Southeast Asian places.
- •Poh piahBetter than spring rolls.
- •Curry puffsNot always there, but home made and kind of like a samosa.
- •SataySoutheast Asian skewers - better than kebabs, but not as good as yakitori.
- •Otak otakSpicy fish paste in a banana leaf.
- •Chwee kuehMorning appetizer/snack in Singapore, but served on the dessert pastry menu here (the only savory dish).
- •Fried squidUsed to like it from Tapioca Express, but now my favorite is from this jap supermarket.
- •TakoyakiJap food is popular in Singapore too.
- •Zong ziChinese rice dumpling snack.
- •Pandan waffleSo close to home, but just misses the generous kaya/peanut butter filling. Can be eaten plain still.