WAYS I HAVE TRIED TO MAKE MYSELF WAKE UP ON TIME
I call myself a morning person: once I'm awake, I'm awake and great. It's the getting awake that's tricky for me. Here is a list of some things I have tried over the years to make it easier. Some have worked. Most have not. None are currently in play.
- 1.Wake-up appsThe one that measures your sleep patterns and only sounds an alarm when you're out of REM. The one that charges you money when you don't turn it off. The one that makes you stand up and spin around before it shuts off.
- 2.No coffee after 2pmThis actually worked well, but then I stopped doing it. Probably for a good reason, though I can't remember why. Other than...COFFEE.
- 3.Set 9+ alarmsThis tactic got me through college before it failed. God, my poor roommates.
- 4.Annoying blaring alarmWoke me up, made me mad, put me back to sleep.
- 5.Peaceful, happy alarmI read somewhere that your alarm tone should be something that makes you feel calm as you wake up, so you start your day invigorated but not agitated. I was worried this wouldn't work. It does, but I get sick of the gd songs.
- 6.Alarm across the roomTired, but effective.
- 7.No tv after 9pmStopped this because I mostly read off a Kindle screen (and not the old good-for-your-eyes kind), and it felt stupid to cut out one screen in favor of another.
- 8.Pretend to schedule important meetings for 8amNothing like a bit of self-induced work anxiety to get me out of bed.
- 9.Actually schedule important meetings for 8amAdmittedly the more effective tactic, but both do the trick.
- 10.Text my mom and ask her to call me at 630
- 11.Stay up late so I only get 7 hours of sleepI spent about a month experimenting with different lengths of sleep time, and ultimately determined that 7 was my "magic number" - not 8, like so many people say. There have been studies on this, but really I just saw it on the Today Show.
- 12.Use coffee as a rewardI never have time to make it in the morning. For a while, I told myself if I got up earlier I would be allowed to make a cup in the French press before racing out the door. Surprisingly, it wasn't worth it to me.
- 13.Ask my roommate to...Knock on my door, take my blankets away in the morning, splash/spray water on me (I'll provide the spray bottle!), etc.
- 14.Schedule sports practice for 5amI was a figure skater, so I had to get ice time in before school. During college, I did this as a way to clear my head and maintain a good sleep schedule leading up to finals.
- 15.Share my bed with a hot early riser I want to impress