IF HAPPINESS WAS A CHOICE
Oh, look, another mental health rant.
- •Believe me, I'd have chosen it.
- •I know that phrase looks cute on FB posts or inspirational wall decor, but it actually makes me feel like shit.
- •I have tried being happy.
- •I have even tried the ill-advised "pretend to be happy until you really are!"
- •But none of that seems to fix my fucked up brain chemistry.
- •None of that seems to be enough to convince me that things are fine as they are.
- •Do people think that depression is the easy way out?
- •I'm not just talking about in terms of as an outlook.
- •Depression is fucking expensive.
- •It's appointments all the time, new scripts, days off work and sometimes no work at all when you can't get out of bed for weeks because... what's the fucking point?
- •Stop blaming people with mental illness for the way the feel.
- •Stop telling people with mental illness that they're simply lazy, that if they were doing more they'd be okay.
- •Stop assuming because you (or someone you know) can or did, so can they.
- •If happiness was a choice,
- •I'd have chosen it.