IMPORTANT DEAR SUGAR COLUMNS
I love @CherylStrayed. She gives guidance and it's always through the most stunning prose. Please read these. You won't regret it.
- •The Obliterated Place"There is no 23." Fittingly written in list form. Advice for a father who has lost his son. When I first read this, both the question and the response, I felt sick with grief. This reminded me how much I matter to my parents, even when I doubt it. I will turn twenty-three. (http://therumpus.net/2011/07/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-78-the-obliterated-place/)
- •The Ghost Ship That Didn't Carry Us"I'll never know and neither will you the life you didn't choose. We'll only know that whatever that sister life was, it was important and beautiful and not ours. It was the ghost ship that didn't carry us. There's nothing to do but salute it from the shore." No comment necessary. (http://therumpus.net/2011/04/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-71-the-ghost-ship-that-didnt-carry-us/)
- •Write Like A Motherfucker"Writing is hard for every last one of us—straight white men included. Coal mining is harder. Do you think miners sit around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig." And we must simply write. (http://therumpus.net/2010/08/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-48-write-like-a-motherfucker/)
- •Tiny Beautiful Things"You cannot convince people to love you. This is an absolute rule. No one will ever give you love because you want him or her to give it. Real love moves freely in both directions. Don't waste your time on anything else." Beautiful indeed. (http://therumpus.net/2011/02/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-64/)
- •The Future Has An Ancient Heart"You have to pay your own electric bill. You have to be kind. You have to give it all you got. You have to find people who love you truly and love them back with the same truth. But that's all." In trying to figure out who I am, where to go and what to do, I have been reading this over and over. (http://therumpus.net/2011/05/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-72-the-future-has-an-ancient-heart/)