MY EXPERIENCE WITH PSYCH MEDS
In vague chronological order. Not enough people talk about this stuff. I don't want to glorify or rank, just share and maybe open up discussion.
- •ZoloftMy first psych med! I hated it. Made my heart beat too fast. I ended up overdosing on this one because I was an angry little teenager so it will always be tainted in my mind but it works well for 99% of the people I know on it.
- •ProzacThe old faithful. Was on this for years before I quit cold because I thought it wasn't working. Well, it was, apparently. With its long half-life it took forever to get out of my system so withdrawal wasn't really a thing but when it did go, I fell apart.
- •ValiumPrescribed by psych 1 and psych 3. Good for some situations but I'm pretty much used to it so it doesn't help as much as it used to. It also works pretty slow.
- •TemazepamHelped me sleep. Once.
- •SeroquelControversial one because I've been prescribed this for sleep, but it's a godsend. Just started the XR so we'll see how that goes. Don't mix with alcohol (most of these you shouldn't but this was bad. 🙃)
- •KlonopinSo good in the short term. But then started needing more so was cut off. Love my docs (this isn't sarcasm, I value their responsibility!)
- •PristiqPricey as fuck but my psych decided I needed an SNRI because of my complicated history with psychiatric disorders in my family and this stuff is great for my baseline.
- •OxazepamMy new "emergency" med, I've yet to really test this out except at work and it was a little better than Valium.
- •ValdoxanNot covered by the PBS and expensive as fuck but effective. I think?
- •XanaxWill never be prescribed, apparently. Too addictive. Recent legislation upped its security schedule, or whatever, to that of Ritalin. (http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pharmaceutical/Documents/alpraz-s8-patient.pdf)
- •LithiumOne week in the worst side effects are headaches and thirst. Got my bloods done today to find out if I can stay on/up my dose.
- •So not every med is for everyone.
- •And meds aren't for everyone.
- •But for some people they are super fucking important.
- •So don't shame them one way or another.
- •Support them.
- •(Updates:Lithium started, Valium my benzo again, no more Seroquel XR and tapering off Pristiq bc it's making me irritable af.)