ODE TO MQ
I had my last class at Macquarie University before my exam next week, today. My current plans consist of applying for a MPH which, sadly, MQ doesn't offer.
- 1.I met you when I was twelve or maybe thirteen years old.
- 2.I was so crushed by anxiety and some really specific phobias that my mother sought out the help of your Centre for Emotional Health.
- 3.I remember walking between the buildings, along the walkways with canopies of green trees and wondering.
- 4.Wondering whether I'd ever be smart enough to belong to a place like you.
- 5.Time passed and my dreams changed a thousand times.
- 6.I forgot about your charm. I forgot about your greenery, your lake, your relaxed atmosphere.The generous, intelligent, caring people I'd met there.
- 7.You were my second choice and you were there when I failed.
- 8.Except maybe it wasn't failure, but a necessary diversion.
- 9.Maybe the path always led to you.
- 10.You have helped me grow, helped me learn things I would have otherwise never known.
- 11.You have hosted panic attacks and tears and poor decisions.Right here, actually.
- 12.You have introduced me to people I never would have met, at the exactly right time I needed them.
- 13.I know I can always return to you and walk your green walkways, breathe in your cool eucalyptic air.I also know it's never going to be the same again.
- 14.I've been with you longer than I intended and not as long as I would have wanted.
- 15.Thank you for allowing me to belong.