ON SOCIAL ANXIETY
- •Social anxiety doesn't mean I don't want to be social.I love spending time with people. I just need more time to prepare, and sometimes more time to unwind.
- •Social anxiety doesn't mean I don't like you.A lot of people have suffered me cancelling on them and it's less a reflection of wanting to spend time with them (or not) and more that my panic is so hard I can feel my pulse pounding.
- •Social anxiety doesn't necessarily mean I'm shy.I can be loud, outspoken and all of that jazz... with the right people. My best friends know that I am impossible to shut up. With strangers or even just acquaintances, though, it's easy to assume I always have been and always will be quiet as a mouse.
- •Social anxiety doesn't mean I don't want to go.People think because I'm scared to leave the house, sometimes, that I never want to go anywhere with anyone and it's safe to leave me out. This is not so much the case. I crave human interaction as much as anyone. I fear being left out and feel the sting of not being invited.
- •Social anxiety doesn't mean I'm an asshole.My inability to hold your gaze isn't meant to be rude. I honestly can't help it, and I'll probably go home and beat myself up for being "rude" anyway.
- •Social anxiety is not an excuse.Forgive me for breaking the format but I had to add this in. While it might seem like I am choosing avoidance as the easier path, I am always, always trying. I want friends. I want to fit in. Sometimes, I even want to stand out. I'm not being antisocial because it's easy. It's the hardest thing. It's the loneliest thing.