MOCKS ROUND 2 JUST HAPPENED
This is when you get together with senior grad students and researchers and practice what's going to happen at your oral exam - aka orals aka quals aka the most stressful rite of passage for a PhD student. 😱 You give presentation 1 and then get asked questions. Then you give presentation 2, and more questions. It's THREE. HOURS. LONG. 😭😩💀
- •My feelings are mixed.
- •A. I feel like I got hit by a truck. 🚚B. I feel strangely ok. If that's how bad the real thing is, it's bad but I can deal with it.
- •A. I got asked questions about subject matter I was so ignorant about, I didn't even understand what was being asked or some of the words used. 😑B. Some of the questions I knew exactly what to say and even could tie back to active research/avenues already under investigation.
- •A. I feel like everyone in that room today (friends and colleagues) is disappointed in me and doesn't think I'm in good shape for my exam. 💩B. That's just impostor syndrome/normal for having just been asked a bunch of questions and had your presentation(s) torn apart.
- •A. Would've been helpful to get these presentation critiques at the last mocks that were held SPECIFICALLY for the presentation content. You know, 2 weeks ago instead of now when I'm trying to finish the written section of my exam and study and also finish collecting data. 😩B. But the suggestions were all really helpful and my presentations will be much stronger if I can figure out how to make the changes (requires a lot more work to gather the appropriate information).
- •A. I feel totally unprepared and am sure I am going to fail or at best get a deferred decision and have to retake the exam and go through this all over again next semester. 💣B. I will probably be ok; I will be ok.