CROCK POT TIPS, STYLE #1
This was the first style I learned and it's incredibly adaptable.
- •But a huge rock of meat.Lamb, pork, or beef are best. Bone in is the very best.
- •Buy all those freaky root vegetables you see in the store.Rutabaga, parsnips, oddball winter squash, purple yams -- just go for it.
- •Peel those veggie freaks and put them at the bottom of the crock pot.Make sure you have a little more meat than the veggies.
- •Gather absurd amounts of herbs from your herb garden.I'm talking like 3 cups at least after being plucked off the stems and chopped. Over wintered herbs are great: sage, rosemary, oregano, summer savory, thyme, etc. Save your fresh basil for something else.
- •Make a little bowl of white wine, apricot nectar, curry, a shit ton of fresh chopped garlic (10 cloves?) and all those herbs.Stir it around. It smells weird, doesn't it?
- •Put your meat rock on that bed of dark veggies.That's what she said.
- •Pour your wine curry cocktail all over the meat rock.She also said that.
- •Put a few small branches of herbs in top of everything.This is very impressive to the lookie-loos who will be around later wondering what's cooking.
- •Put a lid on it and put that fucker on "low."
- •Wait 8-10 hours.This is when the magic happens.
- •Whoa, look. Where did the day go? Everything is different now. The sun is setting. Remember that wine? Get it back out of the fridge and pour some in a glass.You earned this.
- •Tell everyone in the house that it's time.They'll smell it. They'll know what you mean.
- •Scoop out the meat, potatoes, and sauce that miraculously was created into a bowl-like plate.Bowl-like plates are perfect for this.
- •Add salt to taste, fresh ground pepper, and a HUGE dollop of fatty Greek yogurt.The yogurt part is very important.