A LIST ABOUT THE EARLY DAYS OF A RELATIONSHIP THAT BECAME A MARRIAGE
I met my husband 22 days before I moved from San Francisco to Ann Arbor (job relocation). For @lilydiamond
- •We met at a bar (The Albatross).I had planned on hanging out with a friend a few last times before I moved. I knew she was bringing a guy she thought was my match, but I also knew I was leaving and didn't plan to come back. I invited a single mom I knew thinking, "He's a single dad and I'm leaving." She showed zero interest, barely spoke, and left early. He was handsome and witty!
- •When asked why I was moving to Michigan, I answered, "Because it's closer to Wisconsin." I LOVE CHEESE.Turns out he attended the University of Wisconsin in Madison and stayed for several years covering the Milwaukee Brewers for the Wisconsin State Journal.
- •His parting words that evening were, "Well, good luck with everything."I thought, "Wow, I really read that wrong." He followed it up with an essay emailed to my friend about how he's clearly been out of the game for a long time and that he would love to contact me.
- •I returned from an apartment hunting trip and brought knishes from Zingerman's for him and his children (they didn't know about me, but I couldn't deny them the opportunity).I was also in possession of a killer Gouda which we ate while snuggled in bed. I knew in that moment, he was the only one for me.
- •He came to Michigan FIVE TIMES in one year!Two visits were in winter. I came to California twice. We met in Denver, Milwaukee, and New Orleans.
- •The night before his first visit (his red-eye landed at 6am), I baked a chocolate cake because I thought it would be festive.I was so busy cleaning and preparing that I skipped dinner and ate cake batter instead. I actually said to my mother and aunt (via Skype), "If I get salmonella, we know where it came from!" I threw up four times before I picked him up from the airport. But none after.
- •I stayed a year and after I finished my project in Michigan, I got a killer position in San Francisco working for one of the most amazing people of all time.It was, surprisingly, a promotion. I had considered lower jobs simply to move back, but was afraid I'd resent him if I took something that didn't further my career.
- •I moved into an apartment in Berkeley.Following therapy best practices, we were METHODICAL when it came to my interactions with his kids. The day after I met them (at a playground and then we went to a restaurant for lunch), I went to their mother's house for tea. This way, when they went back to her and said, "We met Daddy's girlfriend!" She could say that she had met me, too.