FIRST MAJOR NEWS STORY I REMEMBER LIVING THROUGH
- •Earthquake in Mexico City, 1985I remember my mom watching a morning show (like a Mexican version of the today show). And she thought there was something wrong with our television. Because suddenly the image was blurry
- •When it came back on we found out there had been a huge earthquake in Mexico, D.F.My mom was not one for tears. I remember her standing very still. And then she told me that she would be taking the day off work. My mom never took a day off work. That's when I knew it was serious. I didn't know it at the time, or if I did I didn't understand it. But it was an 8.5 on the Richter scale.
- •My friends and I walked to school, but everyone was quiet and the teachers were solemn.We had a morning assembly and the teachers combined most of the classes. A lot of teachers had family in Mexico City. Our country was mourning the damage to its iconic Capitol.
- •We Saw Support From All Over the WorldThe First Lady, Nancy Regan, visited the survivors and brought $1 million dollars in aid. I remember watching her on the news and thinking how incredible that someone that poised could care enough to come visit our country in its time of need.
- •It Was The First Time I learnedAbout strength. About loss. About the way people can show how United they are in a time of tragedy. About how things can be rebuilt after they have been torn down. Years later, when I visited this city and stood in the cathedral we almost lost to the earthquake, I was reminded of the way people can band together in a time of tragedy.