MY LIFE IN TEN SONGS
Inspired by @marginally_amazing my list muse
- •Under The BridgeThis song captured what it was like to be a Mexican living in a racist city. To be a survivor of sexual abuse. At this point I was still trying to come to terms with my abuse, with the physical and psychological effects it had on me. Also, I wasn't talking about the bullying or the abuse, so this song was, as the lyrics say "my only friend"
- •LOSING MY RELIGIONI used to think Michael Stipe had a direct line to my brain to write his lyrics. I broke ties with the Catholic Church around the time this song came out. I also started learning that people I loved who were deemed "sinners". So I started re-evaluating my belief system.
- •DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DOThis song. Oh goodness, this song. I was letting go of the first guy I had ever loved and learning that sometimes you have to walk away. "And I have the sense to recognize that I don't know how to let you go". Those lyrics hit hard. I wish I could say I learned them and moved on. But this was a relationship that took me years and years to walk away from.
- •FallinRead the paragraph above for reference. Sigh.
- •Lose YourselfThis is when I started to break free of my past. Years of therapy, becoming a mom, meeting people who treated me with love...this all paved the way for me to become the person I needed to be.
- •Holla Back GirlDon't judge. In a sea of being single and trying to date but still wanting to be a good example to my daughter. Not always easy guys.
- •AliveThis song to me encapsulates the story of my life thus far. I've survived, I've overcome. And I'm not afraid to admit I'm proud of who I've become and what I have accomplished.
- •I don't CareThis is a reflection of who I am now. Pretty much obnoxiously confident in my crazy personality. And yeah, I'm a 90's b...I love it
- •You Gotta Fight For Your Right (to party)I loved the Beastie Boys growing up. But I can't say that I truly embraced what this or any of their songs represented until now. When I absolutely will fight for my right.
- •You Said SomethingLet's call this song the phase of my life I'm hopeful will come in the next five years. My five year plan, if you must. I want to be living in New York in five years and I have always loved P.J. Harvey so it just seems the fitting way to complete this list.