Parent Meeting Anxiety
The woes of a woman meeting a mans parents for the first time
- 1.It was early in the morningThey were flying in, their lay over was early. I am not a morning person. All I kept thinking was, can I drink ten cups of coffee by eight thirty am? It's time to get out the coffee in an IV mentality.
- 2.I was going to get ready at his placeIt made the most sense, otherwise I would have to drive an hour to meet him in Dallas or drive to the restaurant, either way it meant getting up even earlier. But the freak out came when I realized I would be getting ready AT HIS PLACE. Let me explain, I've "gotten ready" at his place to go get tacos, to go to a movie. To meet up with friends. But to meet the parents? What if he thinks I took too long to get ready? Or brought too much stuff. I don't care, I need it ALL
- 3.What should I wear?Is a dress too much? Are jeans too casual? Will I seem like I tried too hard? Or like I didn't try hard enough? Should I wear perfume? What if they're allergic? Are open toe sandals bad? Should I wear heels?Am I wearing too much make up? What if they take one look at me and say "who is that sad little person?"
- 4.Upon meeting themIs hugging okay? Oh I hate shaking hands, what if they are hand shakers? Is my dress too revealing? They are all really tall. Should have worn heels! Am I sweating? Am I smiling too big? Not big enough?
- 5.Conversation over breakfastAm I talking too much? Not enough? Is my dialogue intelligent? Wow they are both very smart and well traveled. On their way to Tokyo. What can you talk about? Their son? Do they want you to define the relationship? Oh god do they want you to define the relationship???
- 6.His dad is very much like himAlthough he's a lot like his mom. They're all very close. What a great family. Okay don't blow it. Breakfast is wrapping up and they have to catch their flight. Hug them goodbye and hope they don't text him and tell him to end this before they board their flight. They say they hope to see you again in two months at the family reunion. You're so glad but man you're starting to stress about the family reunion now...