WHY WE LEFT MEXICO
When I was eleven
- •Because there was such a thing as voter intimidationPeople would stand outside the polls and tell you who you should vote for. They had your ballot filled out. If you wanted their free groceries , all you had to do was sign your name. In a country where the poverty level is high and most families are struggling to put food on the table, free groceries are hard to walk away from.
- •Because we lived in a cultureWhere sexual assault was dismissed with words like "mistakes" or "typical boy behavior"
- •Because we lived in a cultureWhere a mans actions or infidelities were blamed on the woman.
- •Because religion was consideredA tool that could be used to support things like rape. Things like ignorance. Things like hate.
- •Because when my mom spoke outHer life was often threatened. Because if a reporter told the truth about what was going on, he would likely go missing.
- •Because women weren't payed equal wages
- •Because women were demeaned
- •Because we were told only the criminals wanted to move to America
- •These are all things I never thoughtWould even remotely be allowed in this country. Especially not by a person running for office. Americans will never allow a man like that to be elected, I said. The American people stand up for what's right...I still believe that. I hope I'm right.