13 FANTASTIC RECORDS
I'm personally WAY over Record Store Day, maybe because at least in Nashville, it's become Black Friday-like and grandma is annoyed by lines now. Just go support your fave shop any of the other 364 days of the year! (Shout out to Criminal Records in Atlanta!!) But to celebrate the spirit of RSD 2016, here are a few of my favorite records.
- •Scott Pilgrim vs. the World OSTThis is one of my absolute favorite movies (saw it 5 times in theaters... once alone, on my birthday. IT WAS AWESOME.) As soon as I saw these go up for sale I snatched it the F up.
- •Thrill Seeker by August Burns RedIf you have the right sound system, metalcore on vinyl sounds ridiculous.
- •Eat, Sleep, Repeat by CopelandCopeland's best album; sounds amazing on vinyl.
- •Aim and Ignite by Fun.This is another album that feels as if it were made to be played on a turntable. The band has since diverged from this sound, which I prefer due to how full the songwriting is.
- •The End is Not the End by House of HeroesOne of my All Time Favorite Albums, the awesomeness of which is magnified on vinyl. Hyperbolic statement: pretty sure HoH is the last modern pure rock and roll band on Earth. (I welcome you to challenge this with hard evidence, because that means I will have new rock and roll to sink my teeth into!)
- •s/t by iwrestledabearonceNot gonna lie, I'm not the biggest IWABO fan. I bought this one because there is snot coming out of this bear's nose in gloriously vivid colors.
- •Bleed American by Jimmy Eat WorldThe sound of my high school years. I had to have it on vinyl, duh.
- •s/t by Little JoyThis band blows my mind. This record was recorded in 2008 but it sounds legitimately like it was recorded in 1978. WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC. By the way, RIP. BLECH.
- •The Everglow by MaeAnother of my All Time Favorite Albums. This album clearly was meant to have record-like vibes, what with the extra vinyl-esque noise produced into the first and last tracks. So duh, I had to get my hands on a copy for appropriate auditory consumption.
- •The Vinyl Countdown by Relient KTo totally be That Person, rK was way ahead of the game and put out this baby in 2003 before the whole record resurgence. That fact plus the extremely punny title of this EP meant I absolutely needed this 7" in my life.
- •...is a Real Boy by Say AnythingBest SA album. Duh. That's really the only reason I own this.
- •A Charlie Brown Christmas by the Vince Guaraldi TrioAdds +5000 cozy to Christmas when you bust this one out.