AMINA, MY TIPS FOR YOU 🇯🇵
@aminam I am seriously so excited for your trip - being in Japan was one of the best experiences of my life and I crave that scary yet exhilarating feeling all the time! I know you are well traveled but perhaps something will be helpful, So..
- •Apparently there are SIM card vending machines (shocking since Japan is the vending machine capital of the world)
- •I, like you, am a huge planner try to plan like 2 days when you don't have plans and make spontaneous decisions
- •Breathe in the moments when your heart feels so happy and things feel surreal! I believe the details of memories last longer this way!
- •Take tons of pictures like old school style 📷
- •Don't be a hero, bundle up you're cold! Actually, the weather looks fair and not too windy! 🌥(yes I just looked at the forecast)
- •The rail system in Japan is one of the most organized and efficient in the world - you won't get lost!Also, embrace the quietness of the trips on the rail!
- •Sumimasen- the one word I used most often - means "excuse me" or "sorry" & can be used in a variety of contextsBy day 4 I felt brave enough to use it when trying to find my way then played the hell out of some charades (seriously talked with my hands for two weeks after returning). I also used this phrase to get get the attention of a waitress (no tipping required in Japan or most of the world, as you probably know)
- •Screw the iPad especially since you can't find the charger 🙃 Take one actual book in case technology fails you at some point & music!
- •Unless you are required to check your work email, DON'T or only check it every 5 days or something !I know we have different job types but I struggle with being absent/going to a workshop and having a substitute for even a day (what if they forget to...? I'll have so much to organize/fix when I get back...! "Why did they do it that way?) Once you get on that plane, literally and figuratively LEAVE IT IN HAWAII! Everything will be okay!
- •Try the food first then ask questions later! You'll probably do a lot of pointing to pictures of food choices anyway! 🍱
- •Have a local beer and some quality saké for me! 🍶
- •Allow yourself to take a break from social media - it's not going anywhere! 🙂