Questions That Send Me Into Mild Panic
And/or incite frustration and exasperation.
- •"So what do you like to do?"Well, kind stranger, I appreciate your interest in me, but the quickest way to make me feel uncomfortable is a super vague question about my hobbies.
- •"Are you dating anyone?"Conversely, I don't care if strangers ask this, but when family or close friends do, it feels weighted with expectation.
- •"Where do you live right now?"I am a twenty-six year old woman living with her parents in her hometown because she went to a private college to get a liberal arts degree, and then went to grad school, and her family is kindly letting her save some money. It's comforting to be home, but I felt more "adult" in college, and now I often feel stereotypically #millenial.
- •"How many hours a week would you say you spend watching television or movies?"An embarrassing amount, good sir.
- •"How's the new job going?"Some days I'm really happy with what I'm doing and who I work with, and other days it's soul-crushing and I question every life decision I made up to this point. Is that the response you're looking for?
- •"Blah blah blah blah blah?" [Translation: any question about taxes or retirement plans or healthcare deductibles, etc.]Um, let me get my dad to explain everything you just said and I'll get back to you. (Maybe I'm not an "adult.")
- •"Let's go with you first. What will you be having for dinner tonight?"Please let the rest of the table order while I sit here indecisively, and then come back to me.
- •"Which 'Harry Potter' book is your favorite?"