UR PROBLEMATIC FAVES DISRESPECTING ASIANS
A running list
- •Gigi Hadid mocked Asian features in a Snapchat video posted by her sister on Snapchat
- •Scarlett Johansson is playing the role of Major Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell out later this year.Not only will she be playing a Japanese Anime character, she has been digitally altered to have most Asian features.
- •Tilda Swinton in "Doctor Strange" played a Tibetan monk.Apparently Swinton was cast because they feared an Asian woman would make the role too "dragon lady." Margaret Cho spoke to Swinton after the controversy appeared and Swinton appeared to not understand why her casting had upset people. Cho said that in her exchange with Swinton, she felt like her "house Asian."
- •Emma Stone played half Asian in AlohaEmma Stone in her apology tried to cover her casting tracks saying, "the character was not supported to look like her background which was a quarter Hawaiian and a quarter Chinese." (Doesn't mean a white person gets to play it).
- •Jennifer Lawrence desecrated sacred rocks in HawaiiWhen the story broke, Lawrence apologized, but not for the desecration of the place nor really to the Hawaiian people, but rather that her story wasn't as funny as she thought it was and got her into trouble.
- •Steve Harvey aired a segment on his talk show where he said "Excuse me, do you like Asian men? No? Thank You." Which he continued up with "You like Asian men? I don't even like Chinese food. sir don't stay with you no time. I don't eat what I can't pronounce." He proceeded to laugh at his own joke for like forty five seconds.
- •Sachs Baron Cohen confused the tiny dongs of Despicable Me's Minions for Asian Men.
- •Chris Rock, during his Oscar monologue included jokes about Asians being good at math and sweatshop labor.
- •Amy Schumer tweeted "My Asian friend kim is really excited she just met a great guy that looks just like her dad...and her mom...and...nevermind."
- •Floyd Mayweather in 2012 tweeted, "Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise."
- •Gilbert Gottfried in 2011 tweeted, "What do Japanese Jews like to eat? Hebrew National Tsunami."
- •ESPN writer Anthony Federico and anchor Max Bretos used "chink in the armor" to refer to Jeremy Lin.Federico was fired and Bretos was suspended for 30 days
- •Jason Whitlock responded to Jeremy Lin's win with the Knicks by tweeting, "Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight."
- •Matt Damon is in a new movie where he defeats dragons at the Great Wall in ancient ChinaDamon responded to the controversy by saying (in Beijing): “The whole idea of whitewashing, I take that very seriously ... it’s a monster movie and it’s a historical fantasy and I didn’t take a role away from a Chinese actor. It wasn’t altered because of me in any way.” He also said the controversy felt like fake news and click bait which like dude, you're white, there were no white people in ancient China. Not fake. Bigly rude.
- •Actor Tom Holland, being interviewed in Seoul, told Eric Nam: "You speak great English, though man. Where did you learn English?" Eric Nam is Korean-American, born and raised in Atlanta.