RULES I LIVE BY AS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER
@Nicholas ask and you shall receive. I am an interior designer in LA. I work with Sasha Emerson. Here are some rules we both live by.
- •If anyone uses the word "chic" find the nearest exitFor example- shabby chic, granny chic. I'll add Ralph Lauren and Hollywood Regency looks to this as well.
- •Remember that most men are color blindIgnore your husband, the walls are not pink.
- •Overstuff your pillowsKarate chopping the top of your pillows just looks strange. If you have a 20"square pillow, get a 24" down insert.
- •Add wallpaperI love wallpaper in bathrooms, bedrooms, and accent walls. I even wallpapered my kitchen!
- •I don't like the color brown!Natural woods are ok. BUT not mahogany!
- •Keep your lighting lowIf it's over a table-3ft. If over your head-7ft. Get rid of flushmounts if you can. Cans are for track homes, try to limit them to a minimum- they look like chicken pox.
- •Matching metalsDon't mix too many metal finishes together. My favorites are oil rubbed bronze and unlaquered brass.
- •Mix old and new
- •Don't look through your clients nightstand while tidying up
- •I'm not your cleaning ladyUnfortunately this rule is broken often.
- •Don't work for people you don't likeThis is a very intimate job. It's a great and glamorous job at times, but you are invited into people's private lives. I often know where my client keeps their scissors and their underwear.
- •Mix high and lowFor my last job, we spent over 100k on outdoor furniture but also went on a shopping spree at TJ Maxx Home Goods.
- •Don't buy yourself everything from one storeRestoration Hardware has great things but don't make your house look like their catalogue.
- •Iced tea with milkI'm not sure if this is a rule, but Sasha and I both independently drink iced tea with milk. Is this a designer thing? Who knows.