QUESTIONS TO ASK WHEN EVERYTHING IS AWFUL AND YOU'RE NOT OK
Depression hits everyone at some point and at differing levels. You are not alone! If you're having a downer day, here are some questions to ask yourself before giving up. Don't suffer in silence. End the stigma of depression and reach out!
- •Are you hydrated?If not, have a glass of water!
- •Have you eaten in the past three hours?If not, get some food - something with protein, not just simple carbs. Nuts or hummus are YUMMUS!
- •Have you showered in the past day?If not, take a shower right now! Yay, bubbles!
- •Have you stretched your legs in the past day?If not, do it now yo! If you don't have the energy for a run or trip to the gym, just walk around the block. If the weather's crap, drive to Target, walk all the aisles you normally skip, and, most likely, end up with a new food processor and a pack of Sharpies that you don't need!
- •Have you said something nice to someone in the past day?Do it! Online or in person, it's all good. Helloooo ListApp! Make it genuine - wait until you see something really wonderful about someone and tell them about it!
- •Have you moved your body to some sweet, sweet music in the past day?If not, jog for the length of an EDM song at your favorite tempo, or just dance around the room for the length of your favorite upbeat song!
- •Have you cuddled a living being in the past two days?If not, do itttt. Don't be afraid to ask for hugs from friends or friends' pets. Most of them will enjoy the cuddles too, you're not imposing!
- •Have you seen a therapist in the past few days?Therapy isn't for everyone, but if it's for you, hang on until your therapy visit and talk through things then!
- •Have you changed any of your meds in the past couple weeks or skipped any doses?This can definitely screw with your mind and body. Give things a few days, and don't be afraid to talk with your doctor if it doesn't feel right!
- •It's daytime - are you dressed?If not, put on clean clothes that aren't PJs. Give yourself permission to wear something special like a funny tshirt or a pretty dress!
- •It's nighttime - are you sleepy and fatigued but resisting going to sleep?Put those PJs back on, make yourself comfy in bed, listen to some wave music, and close your eyes for 15 minutes - no electronics allowed! If you're still awake, you can get up again, no pressure!
- •Do you feel ineffective?Stop right now and get something small completed - answer some emails, load the dishwasher, pack your gym bag. GOOD JOB!
- •Do you feel unattractive?Take a goddamn selfie. Your friends will remind you how great you look and you'll help fight society's restrictions on what beauty can look like!
- •Do you feel paralyzed by indecision?Give yourself 10 minutes to sit back and figure out a game plan for the day. If a particular decision is still being an uncooperative jerk, set it aside for now and pick something that seems doable! The important part is to break through the stress, even if it means doing something trivial!
- •Have you over-exerted yourself lately - physically, emotionally, socially, or intellectually?This can take a toll that lingers for days. Give yourself a break in that area - take a nap, spend some time alone, relax with some silly entertainment ( hellerrrr Netflix and chill)!
- •Have you waited a week?Sometimes our perception of life is skewed and we can't even tell that we're not thinking clearly, and there's no obvious external cause. Shit happens. Keep yourself going for a full week, whatever it takes, and see if you feel the same way by then!
- •You've made it this far and you can keep going! Never be ashamed to talk to someone if you're having a bad day. Make every day an Andy kind of day!