Random songs that still hold up
I heard these songs on the radio last week (at the mall, at a restaurant, and in the car) after not listening to most of them in years. Spoiler alert: They're still awesome.
- •Death Cab for Cutie - Soul Meets BodyI used to be obsessed with DCFC, and I wore this album out back in the day. Still an excellent, catchy single. I may have sung along in the store. Sorry for making things weird, Macy's employees.
- •Madonna - Beautiful StrangerJust a great pop song. And it will always remind me of Austin Powers, which will never not be a good thing. Yeah, baby.
- •Third Eye Blind - Never Let You GoOkay, so this one is kind of a stretch, because I listen to 3eb all the time. (They're one of my favorite bands ever, and yes, I realize most people think they disappeared after "Semi-Charmed Life." Not so!l) But I hadn't heard the song out in the wild (a.k.a. not on my iPod) in forever. Guess what? Still effing rocks. "I remember the stupid things, the mood rings, the bracelets, and the beads..."
- •Locksley - The WhipJust a great party song. I bought this album on Amazon for like $3 during a Black Friday Deals sale. Easily worth more.
- •Supertramp - Goodbye StrangerMy parents played classic rock all the time when we were kids, so my brothers and I spent most of our childhoods listening to nothing but '60s and '70s music. Supertramp remains a sentimental favorite. Plus, Michael Scott parodied this song on The Office, another sentimental favorite.
- •All-American Rejects - Dirty Little SecretAAR's debut holds a special place in my adolescent heart (Swing Swing 4 lyfe), but this single from their sophomore effort is just a great, energetic piece of music. Bonus: Its music video introduced me to Post Secret. I ended up interviewing founder Frank Warren years later, back when I worked for a newspaper, and regret not asking him to talk about how he got involved with the band. (A question I can now just ask Google, probably.)
- •Ace of Base - I Saw the SignI mean, c'mon -- if you grew up in the '90s, how could you NOT love this song?