Things I Learned Working in High End Retail
- •Don't judge a book by its coverCliché, but true.
- •When asked for your opinion, tell the truth.And do it nicely- You might lose a sale, but you'll gain a client. Unless she is absolutely in love, then shut your mouth and sell the shoe.
- •People are the worstPeople are also the best sometimes
- •A nice manager isn't always an effective manager.
- •No sale is too small.Except for those goddamn clearance jelly sandals. If you want to try those on, you can get the fuck out.
- •Stand up for yourself, but be respectful when you can.There will be people (customers as well as other sales associates) who mistake kindness for weakness. Those people will find out they're wrong, eventually.
- •"Human Resources" is an ironic job titleAlternative titles for consideration: corporate drone resources
- •There will be sales associates who look at customers and only see dollar signsDon't be one of those people.
- •In commission-based sales there will be bad days and good days. Having a positive attitude is the only way to make it through.Getting drinks after work helps too