FAVORITE LINES FROM BRILLIANT MINDS: NORA EPHRON
Just a few of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite writers/directors.
- •"And then the dreams break into a million tiny pieces. The dream dies. Which leaves you with a choice: you can settle for reality, or you can go off, like a fool, and dream another dream."- Heartburn
- •"I try to write parts for women that are as complicated and interesting as women actually are."
- •"Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women."— 1996 Wellesley commencement speech
- •From I Feel Bad About My Neck:"There is something called the rapture of the deep, and it refers to what happens when a deep-sea diver spends too much time at the bottom of the ocean and can't tell which way is up. When he surfaces, he's liable to have a condition called the bends, where the body can't adapt to the oxygen levels in the atmosphere. All of this happens to me when I surface from a great book."
- •"I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them."- Heartburn
- •"I don't think any day is worth living without thinking about what you're going to eat next at all times."- Gormet, 2009
- •"I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world's greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance."- Heartburn
- •"I always read the last page of a book first so that if I die before I finish I'll know how it turned out."- When Harry Met Sally
- •From her 1996 Wellesley commencement speech:"Maybe young women don’t wonder whether they can have it all any longer, but in case any of you are wondering, of course you can have it all. What are you going to do? Everything, is my guess. It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess. It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications. It will not be anything like what you think it will be like, but surprises are good for you. And don’t be frightened: You can always change your mind. I know:I’ve had four careers and three husbands."
- •"Reading is everything. Reading makes me feel like I've accomplished something, learned something, become a better person. Reading makes me smarter. Reading gives me something to talk about later on. Reading is the unbelievably healthy way my attention deficit disorder medicates itself.Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real. Reading is grist. Reading is bliss."— I Feel Bad About My Neck