GAMES THAT HAVE BEEN BANNED* FROM GAME NIGHT BECAUSE OF ME
*— I mean, they haven't been banned FOREVER. They're just sitting in their own version of timeout right now.
- •CharadesI may or may not have a tendency to lose it when people aren't getting even the most basic of clues. 😬
- •ClueBecause my answer was- and let's face it, probably- always will be- "Professor Plum, in the conservatory, with the candlestick." Well, that and the fact that I tend to quote the movie while playing.
- •Drinking Games (Beer Pong, Quarters, Fuzzy Duck, Drunk Jenga, etc.)To be fair, these games aren't banned and my people do play them. I just don't join them because I decided to give up alcohol a little over a year or so ago.
- •Egyptian Rat Screw (ERS)a group of highly competitive people + a card game that (usually) involves hand slapping= a lot of red, tender hands
- •JengaBecause I will back you into a wobbly corner while simultaneously getting inside your head.
- •MancalaMy young cousin had a level 5 MELTDOWN because I refused to let her win. (In my defense: she had hit me multiple times that day and told me that nobody loved me.)
- •MonopolyWhen I was working on the original draft of this list (pre-loss of drafts), I sent a quick text to some of my people to ask why this sweet, innocent, kind of dull game had been banished from the game night lineup and the first answer I got back was "you play with the kind of ruthlessness that would make Gordon Gekko proud." Um, ouch?
- •PictionaryBecause people get kind of touchy when you're *pretty* adamant that you need more than three lines and a scribble to guess whatever it is they're trying to give you.
- •PokerAs someone who dabbles in the world of stories, I tend to watch people and their quirks, which—according to my friends— is an "unfair advantage". (I'm also *totally* ridiculous in the fact that I would wear my sunglasses, a baseball cap and a jacket with the hood pulled up over my head.)
- •SpoonsIt's kind of hard for people to take you seriously when you're trying to explain to them that the bruise under your eye came from fighting over a spoon. Erm, not that I would know anything about that. 😬(⬆️— Not an actual picture of my friends above, we're much more brutal.)
- •Trivia Games (Trivial Pursuit, Cranium, Scene It, etc)Because knowing as much random trivia as I do means that there's usually an argument over whose team I'm going to be on and honestly, that's just no fun.
- •UnoI admit that I am totally and completely cutthroat when it comes to this game. I mean not only will I hit you with a stack of "Draw 2" and "Draw 4" cards but I'll do it with a smile. But what's even worse than that is the fact that I will celebrate my win. (Luckily this is the only game I do that with but still... 😶).