MY TOP TEN* FAVORITE MOVIES AND WHAT I THINK THESE CHOICES SAY ABOUT ME
*—Except I'm doing twelve because I obviously can't follow the guidelines. (Thanks for the request, @lexie_elyse. So sorry it took me a while to do it. 😬)
- •The Big Sleep (1946)What I Think It Says About Me: That 65% of my life is nonsense. No, it really is and that's okay for the most part because the 35% that *really* matters is what makes this crazy film of life worthwhile.
- •Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)What I Think It Says About Me: My first thought is that it says I'm someone who knows what it's like to want to leave her hometown behind and reinvent herself so desperately that she would be willing to do almost anything to do so. Dig a little deeper, though, and you'll discover I'm a girl who once built so many thick, emotional walls around her heart in the name of protecting it that she sometimes wonders if she'll end up missing her chance at love when- and if- it ever comes around again.
- •The Graduate (1967)What I Think It Says About Me: It obviously says that I'm a middle-aged woman having an affair with the son of her husband's business partner. Okay, so maybe not. I do, however, know what it's like to be lost with no answer to the "what's next?" question. (I'm here now actually.) I also know what it's like to be so consumed with uncertainty that you're willing to sacrifice who you are and what you want on the blade of a life filled with comfort and security.
- •Grease (1978)What I Think It Says About Me: I've fallen in love with a guy who left me feeling like I needed to change who I was in order to be with him. It also says that I'm a great singer and dancer. (I mean, it doesn't but we're going to pretend like it does. Yes? Thanks, y'all. You're the best. 👌)
- •Father of the Bride (1991)What I Think It Says About Me: I'm a sap with a George-Banks-of-a-father who'll probably respond the same way George did if I ever tell him I've met the person I'm going to build a life with.
- •The Sandlot (1993)What I Think It Says About Me: I'm nostalgic for people and moments that have long faded into my past. It's also a connecting point between my brother and me even when the gap between us feels too wide to see the other person.
- •Almost Famous (2000)What I Think It Says About Me: I know what it's like to find understanding in the lyrics of a song and the people who can sing along with it and with you.
- •The Corpse Bride (2005)What I Think It Says About Me: I'm willing to sacrifice my own heart and happiness if it means ensuring the happiness of someone I truly love. (It also might say that I'm a *huge* Tim Burton fan.)
- •Easy A (2010)What I Think It Says About Me: I'm a smart, kick-ass girl with a wicked sense of humor and a library's worth of pop culture knowledge. It maaaay also say that I'm still waiting on that guy who would be willing to hold a boombox over his head so that we can ride off on a lawnmower into the sunset, but whatever. 💁
- •Frankenweenie (2012)What I Think It Says About Me: I long for people and things I've lost. (But unlike Victor, I'm not so sure I would bring them back even if I had the power and knowledge to do so.)
- •The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)What I Think It Says About Me: I'm a broken, sad, ugly mess sometimes but despite this, hope somehow continues to live within me.
- •Rise of the Guardians (2012)What I Think It Says About Me: I try my best to look for the magic, hope, and beauty that life has to offer. Maybe not so much in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, but in things like a child's laughter or flowers blooming. (However, I did talk to the Man in the Moon when I was a kid. 🌝)