NO WORDS 💔
Edited to add a link to a news article: http://www.wyff4.com/news/possible-shooting-reported-at-elementary-school-police-say/41866672
- •I was standing outside, talking to my neighbor earlier this afternoon when I felt my phone begin to vibrate in my back pocket. Pulling it out, I saw the old picture of blonde haired boy with a wide grin standing in front of a school cabinet beneath a banner that read Daniel and buttons that would allow me to either answer or ignore the call.
- •"Do you need to get that?" my neighbor asked, her eyes moving to the phone in my hand.
- •"Nah," I said, tapping the red ignore button, "I'll call him back in a little bit."
- •No sooner had I returned the phone to my pocket, it started to buzz again. I didn't even get a full greeting out before my brother blurted out that there had been a shooting at one of the local elementary schools.
- •My stomach dropped. Not only was this an elementary school that's less than thirty minutes from our house, but it's the very same elementary school where my best friend was offered a job after she completed her student teaching a couple years ago.She declined in favor of finding a job closer to where she lived.
- •In the time since I've been glued to my television, trying to find both updates and the words to properly express my feelings, but you know what?
- •There just aren't any words strong enough to properly express the heartbreak, anger, and exhaustion I feel at having to see another breaking news headline like this.
- •And honestly, what else is there really left to say other than what in the actual fuck, y'all??
- •The worst things that are *ever* supposed to happen at school are bad test grades, falls from the monkey bars, pop quizzes, and after school detention.
- •But sadly, it seems like our world has forgotten that.
- •I just don't know what else to say other than we need change, and we need it sooner rather than later. 💔