SIX FAVORITE LINES FROM SARAH DESSEN'S SAINT ANYTHING
Six months ago, @sarahdessen released her twelfth novel, Saint Anything. It tells the story of Sydney, a girl who's left to pick up the pieces of her world after her older brother is sent to jail. Half a year later, it's still one of my favorites. Here are just six of my favorite lines from it.
- •I use Post-It flags to mark things I love in books. Judging by the amount of flags, I would say I loved a lot in this book.
- •Before I get to the quotes, I have to give special recognition to the dedication because it is perfection.
- •"It's been three months." Layla sat back. "There has to be a statue of limitations on pretending someone doesn't exist."Pg. 87
- •"This wasn't news to me, how your entire life could come down to one word, and not of your choosing. I knew it better than anyone. Each time I was reminded, though, I wished that much harder it wasn't the case."Pg. 133
- •"I think..." I began, but then suddenly it was too big to say or even exist outside of my own head. It was one thing to let these thoughts haunt the dark spaces of my mind, but another entirely to put them into the light, making them real."Pg. 186
- •"Now that I'd been real and first to someone, I never wanted to be invisible again."Pg. 281
- •"I was not punished yet, had no idea what would happen next. But already that space left in my heart, open after being clenched tight for so long, was narrowing. When the door shut behind them, I felt it close."Pg. 325
- •"I was in shock. Funny how the world works. You don't get the something you really covet, but then the universe provides unexpected compensation. Here I thought you had to make a wish for it to come true."Pg. 389
- •And this is just because I like to post it when I can.And for what it's worth, as magnificent as Sarah is as a writer, she's twenty times that as a person.