Already on li.st? Open in app.
I don't want to reveal the selection for next year's book club, so here are some of the books I hope to read before my next birthday.
- •The Clasp by Sloane CrosleyReading on my flight to Dubai tonight!
- •The House On Mango Street by Sandra CisnerosIt's been on the list for a while and I just saw a great portrait of the author at The National Portrait Gallery so I'm inspired that this is the year I finally read it! Plus, that 25th anniversary sticker makes me want to read it!
- •Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerA coworker just read and raved about it. Another coworker recently climbed Denali, so I'm intrigued to learn more about climbing.
Well, this was far more fun and diverse than I thought it would be.
- 2.Schooling the hubs in Connect Four. This was at an outdoor bar during our long weekend in Philly. Again, dope venue.
- 3.Living on the edge. 1% battery life. Home screen pic is of our first dance, which was ALSO at a dope venue!
Every year I try to read the same number of books as my age. Every year it becomes more difficult. I've never actually completed this Mission: Impossible, but I keep trying! Here's what I read this year and a quick review (ratings are on a scale of 3 🤓)
- •Yes Please by Amy Poehler 🤓Good. This book made me laugh but left me wanting more.
- •All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr 🤓🤓🤓Excellent! Loved this book!
- •The Fever by Meg Abbot 🤓OK. I think this book was put together too quickly.
One might think the following list is intended to be ironic. The truth is I'm really THAT bad at picking karaoke songs.
- •Fancy by Rebe McIntireFun Fact: growing up I had no idea this song was about a mom who encourages her daughter to become a prostitute because they were so very poor.
- •50 Ways to Lose Your Lover by Paul SimonI thought the clever rhymes were (1) easy to memorize and (2) great for a sing-a-long! I was wrong. This song is far too slow for karaoke.
- •Every Ludacris songNote, I know about 10% (MAX) of any of the words to these songs.
- •Papa Don't Preach by MadonnaIt's really quite awkward to passionately sing about one's choice to not have an abortion in front of complete strangers.
I was a girl with big dreams.
- •The husband-wife duo mayor of DC (because I thought it was Mary and Barry, not Marion Barry)
- •A senator (2 year terms are for suckers)
- •A lawyer (when my dad told me all senators had a law degree)
- •A biglaw lawyer (when I realized how corrupt politicians are. Ironic that I turned to biglaw, eh?)