Books I Hope to Read in My 29th Year
I don't want to reveal the selection for next year's book club, so here are some of the books I hope to read before my next birthday.
- •The Clasp by Sloane CrosleyReading on my flight to Dubai tonight!
- •The House On Mango Street by Sandra CisnerosIt's been on the list for a while and I just saw a great portrait of the author at The National Portrait Gallery so I'm inspired that this is the year I finally read it! Plus, that 25th anniversary sticker makes me want to read it!
- •Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerA coworker just read and raved about it. Another coworker recently climbed Denali, so I'm intrigued to learn more about climbing.
- •The Lowland by Jhumpa LahiriFun fact: @mindy named her character Dr. Lahiri after Jhumpa.
- •A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon JamesI generally love the Man Booker shortlist, plus I've seen a lot of recs for this book. Also, that cover! 😍
- •Special Topics in Calamity Physics by MarishaI've seen this recommended as a must-read in your 20s and 30s so I will likely get to it in the next year or ten.
- •So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon RonsonI think we've all been quick to judge at least once in our lives and with the internet judgement is fast and fierce - even this book/its author was publicly shamed after publication! Plus, love this cover!
- •1776 by David McCullough(but this is on the list every year)
- •To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeA re-read turned prequel.
- •Go Set the Watchman by Harper LeeSo much buzz, good and bad, that I'd like to read and make up my own mind.
- •Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn WardLooks interesting but would probably take a beach week to actually get me to read this - or a very strong rec.
- •Department of Speculation by Jenny Offill(See Salvage the Bones description)
- •Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreightRecommended by a very good friend.