FAVORITE UNITED STATES CHEESES
- •Cabot Clothbound CheddarMade at Jasper Hill, a working dairy farm with an on-site creamery. This cheddar is crumbly and nutty.
- •AppalachianMeadow Creek Dairy cheese from Virginia. Very creamy, buttery, and earthy.
- •Alpha TolmanAnother Jasper Hill cheese, this one is similar to an Alpine cheese like Appenzeller. Good texture for melting, too.
- •Summer SnowWoodcock Farm in Vermont makes this seasonal sheep's milk cheese. It's similar to chèvre, and you don't want it to get too warm.
- •OmaBack to cow's milk cheese with Oma from Von Trapp Cellars in Vermont. It's buttery with a mild thin rind.
- •CoupoleGoat cheese from Vermont Creamery. The rind is wrinkled and round, like brains. The rind flavor is strong, but the interior is light and fresh. Good with slices of pear or melted on pastrami.
- •Medium CheddarTillamook in Oregon makes my favorite mass-produced everyday cheddar. I almost always have some form of Tillamook cheddar in my refrigerator.