THAT TIME I MET ALTON BROWN
I remember it like it was yesterday. (It was yesterday.)
- •Alton Brown is touring for his new cookbook, and he was in my city last night.
- •He talked to the crowd at Book People for about 30 minutes, including Q&A.
- •He dodged the "favorite restaurant in town" question, but said he drinks margaritas here.(Photo from his instagram.) Austinites are proud of their restaurants. The crowd "oooooohh-ed" when the question was asked. Alton Brown is too smart to name a favorite taco or BBQ joint in this city.
- •An Archer fan asked if he was going to be back on the show. He said he's working on "something with puppets" with Lucky Yates.AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
- •When asked which Food Network Star was his favorite, he answered "Are you kidding??"And: they're all wonderful and friendly and charitable upstanding citizens. (Oh you know he's got some stories.)
- •I stood in line for about half an hour to get my book signed, with maybe 150 people in front of me.
- •Handing him my book, I said "I asked them to include my "unique" last name on the note in the book for signing, since we share it."
- •Alton Brown: Oh yeah, I hear there might be more than a few Browns out there....
- •Me: (nervous giggle)
- •Alton Brown: ...but we're probably cousins.
- •Me: That's what I'm telling people.
- •Alton Brown: (chuckle)
- •Me: (INTERNAL SCREAMING)