THINGS MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME ABOUT BEING A GROWN ASS WOMAN THAT I'D LIKE TO PASS TO YOU, DEAR READER
My mom was a badass who kept it classy and reaped lots of success in her professional and personal lives. These are some of the things she taught me about being a professional, a human, and a classy goddamn lady that have always stuck with me.
- •A woman should always have some nice-ass stationary for thank you notesYeah, email exists, and you can use that to write thank you notes to your family and friends. But if you mail a thank you note in personalized, monogrammed stationary to someone important, like a professor who reviewed your resume or someone who just interviewed you for a job, you're showing them you're a boss ass fancy bitch who doesn't quit.
- •A woman stands up for herselfIf someone slights her, takes advantage of her, or insults her, a badass woman politely but firmly tells that person that that shit will not fly. And if it happens again, a badass woman stops being polite and puts her foot down because she's worth it, motherfucker.
- •A woman doesn't play dumb or pretend things are fine when they're notA lady doesn't keep her true feelings bottled up. She lets people know when she's upset because she knows that acting like things are fine is a pointless thing to do.
- •A woman has a signature drinkMy mom's was a martini with extra olives. Mine is a rum and Diet Coke. What is yours? Don't tell me you don't have one, because if you don't, then I'm sorry, you just aren't grown ass woman material
- •A woman should be friends with people she'd like to be more likeObviously your friends will influence you greatly, so if you want to be a badass lady, you gotta surround yourself with badass ladies (and men who are totally down with/actively encourage badass ladies).