Tear Drops Through "Purple Rain"
A local theater is showing "Purple Rain". Regrettably, I never saw Prince in concert but I hear his voice in my head a lot. I head to the theater with my tissues. This is not a review of the movie, merely my reactions to the pure Prince of it.
- •I well up when I hear the first chord - "Let's Go Crazy". "Are we gonna let the elevator bring us down - oh no! Let's go..." Wasn't our sweet Prince found in an elevator? We don't even know the details yet but I feel so sad that he died alone, perhaps in an elevator.
- •Prince is beautiful - his eyes especially. His smile, rare in the film, is sweet.
- •He seems out of his element acting - until he gets on stage. He's not acting there; he is in his own skin. And he owns it!
- •His character "The Kid" wears a cross in almost every scene. Prince was a believer. "God" is lovely. His genesis.
- •Darling Nikki" - wow! Not just the lyrics but his stage performance. He's shirtless and oiled up. Could not stop watching him. No lust involved, I promise. Just mesmerized by his beauty and talent.
- •"Purple Rain" brought a flood. Glad for those tissues.
- •He was only 26 when he filmed the movie, but the music was written before. We barely saw the beginning of his talent.
- •"I Would Die For You" is to die for in this film.
- •I never saw him in concert and now I never will. I almost did today.