EASY THINGS YOU COULD GROW IF YOU WANT TO GARDEN
I love to garden and it's not as big of a time commitment as you might think - especially if you set up drip irrigation, soaker hoses, or sprinklers on a timer.
- •Arugula, lettuce, spinachGreens grow really easily. They need lots of water (set up a soaker hose on a timer) and not too much direct sun. Keep them thinned also or they'll choke each other out. Lots of greens will "cut and come again", so you can keep harvesting all spring and summer. Great for pots on a balcony.
- •BasilThey're a pain to grow from seed so I always buy starts. Basil loves sun and doesn't need too much water. Keep pinching off the flowers- you don't want them to go to seed. They also get more bitter later in the season. Grows well in containers.
- •Melons, cucumbers, squashesAlso very easy to grow from seed. They will stretch out over a lot of space, so make sure to give them tons of room. Also, if you have gophers (AND I DO), be cautious. Gophers love squash.
- •SunflowersPoke the seeds about one inch into the soil. That's it. They'll grow like crazy and only need to be watered every other day or so. 🌻
- •TomatoesAlso a pain to grow from seed. Buy starts and support them with tomato cages. They love lots of sun and moderate water. If you're an apartment dweller you can do really well with tomatoes in containers.