BEER DIARY - INSIGHT BREWING EDITION @INSIGHTBREWING
My first visit to the taproom. Flight night! Insight beers always have a delicate quality about them. I like them a lot.
- •(Return of the) Lambton Dragon, English session aleNice earthiness to this, dry, not too bitter. It's 4.1%ABV--I'd really love it at about 6%, I think. But, it's very good. And very lively.
- •(The Garden of the) Hell Chicken, pale ale & yuzuWhat is this Japanese yuzu fruit? It smells like a pineapple cactus, and tastes mildly gingery, around a nice pale ale.
- •(In the Halls of the) Sunken City, saison & Sauv Blanc grapesGreat balance between the saison and white wine. The flavors are very compatible the way it's done here. Just a hint of banana as it warms up. Is this a reworking of the Saison d'Blanc?
- •(An Obstruction on the) Troll Way, citrus IPAHm. To me this tastes more like grass than citrus. If I use my imagination, maybe (grassy) green grapefruit. Tasty, but to me not overly citrusy.
- •(Taming the) Devil's Companion, London-style PorterJust a hint of smokiness, but mostly roasty and toasty goodness.
- •French Saison, traditional saisonThis one I'm definitely getting some bubblegum from. And (again to my particular palate on this particular evening), dare I say it, a little bit of lagery mustiness underneath. I know that's not supposed to be what you get from a saison, but there you have it.