BEER DIARY - Stout Bout edition at Pizza Lucé, with @pizzaluce, @gooseisland, @surlybrewing
I'll be honest: sometimes either my palate or my concentration level in general makes it tough to discern between beers such as these. There. I said it. Having said that, I like both 2016s the best.
- •Surly Darkness 2016Rich and chocolatey.
- •Surly Darkness 2015This seems more mellow than the 2016 in all ways.
- •Goose Island Bourbon County 2014 13.8%Immediately more complex than either of the Darknesses. Though boozier, but not as chocolatey. It's complicated…
- •Goose Island Bourbon County 2015 14.3%Woo, this is boozy! And actually, that's a little distracting from any other flavors I might have detected.
- •Goose Island Bourbon County 2016This is also quite boozy, but more of the other flavors are fighting their way through. Getting a little cherry and dark chocolate from this one.
- •Excelsior Sangre Blood Orange IPATANGERINE! What a delightful beer. So orangey, but underneath there is a great balance of some lagery, bready stuff. To be honest, even more honest, this was my favorite of these six beers!
- •Tonight's menu