BEER DIARY - SURLY BEER HALL EDITION
- •Surly Heathen Temple, blackened hefeweizen (taproom only)Low ABV. Flavor doesn't really hit until the back of your mouth. Ascorbic dryness-sourness, really dry in the aftertaste. Interesting. Some peat and smoke notes, definitely has that Cascadian dark thing going on. Some berry starts to come out once the chill comes off.
- •Surly Hop Shifter #4 Chinook, IPA (taproom only)Dry grassy hops, just the way I like it! Juicy undertones. I wouldn't mind if they made this all this time!
- •Together (suggested pairing): Hop Shifter #4 + Flank Steak (tomato, cucumber, melon, chimichurri)Grassiness of beer plays really well with the salad part of this. I love flank steak. Smoked salt on the steak was a nice touch.
- •Surly Xtra-Citra, pale ale (mostly taproom)Smells and tastes like a gentle Furious, maybe a little drier. A bit of mustiness underneath. Good.
- •Surly OverRated, west-coast IPAThe name might be a jab at west coast breweries, but this is a great IPA! Bright grapefruit/resin flavor, delightful lacy head. Delish!
- •Together (suggested pairing): OverRated + Farro Salad (smoked salmon, avocado, egg, pepitas, micro greens, lime vinaigretteMm, earthiness of pine nuts—correction: pepitas are toasted pumpkin seeds—dill, and micro greens brings out resin notes of the beer. Lime vinaigrette, avocado, and egg yolk make a nice backdrop for the tropical notes. I love farro.