My Favorite Paint Colors
My favorite choice of medium is gouache and I have a handful of favorites I use.
- •Prussian BlueI know a lot of people that hate this color, but it's so deep and rich. Mixed with a sepia and you get a rich black that has more depth than straight black.
- •SepiaSee above.
- •Naples YellowGood for so many things.
- •Alizarin Crimson
- •Cadmium RedGreat straight from the tube for lit areas of red. Also fantastic when mixed with Naples Yellow for tips of noses, fingers or inside the ear when light shines on it from behind.
- •Cyprus GreenNo particular reason. I just like it.
- •Yellow OchreThis is a great shadow yellow.
- •Burnt Sienna
- •Raw Sienna
- •Any Sienna
- •Sap GreenMine is always kind of oily, but I love it anyway.
- •Cadmium Yellow Pale
- •UltramarineThis also makes a nice black when mixed with Burnt Umber.