A note to the class of 2016
Thanks for the request @k8zinker Based on what I've learned in the 20 years since I graduated high school.
- •For all grads:
- •First good job! Congrats!
- •Do what you love and have fun doing it!That goes for college majors, jobs, hobbies, vacations, etc. It's cliche, but it's what I've found to be best.
- •For High School Grads:
- •Go to class.I didn't and it just made college harder.
- •Enjoy being away from home, but don't be horrible to your parents when you go home.I was and I regret those years. Plus they are giving you access to free laundry and this will become a major commodity in your life.
- •Take some classes that don't have anything to do with a future career if you can.This is the best time to just learn about random things.
- •For College Grads:
- •It's ok if the first job you find is not your dream job. You can move on. This is the best time to do that.I will say, as a person who conducts a lot of interviews, just be prepared to answer questions about why you needed to move on. I never hold a resume with a lot of short term jobs against a candidate if there is a thoughtful explanation.
- •Travel if you can
- •Oh, and, you aren't going to use your college textbooks again. You can sell them, etc.Mine were in my mother's garage for 10+ years until she made me get rid of them.