Favorite Thanksgiving Side Dishes, Ranked
Inspired by @bjnovak. As time goes by I'm more responsible for cooking these dishes but my grandma and mom's recipes still win.
- •StuffingMy love for this side dish transcends Thanksgiving. I used to eat stove top for dinner in college. (Yes there was a freshman 15) I've moved on to making this from scratch and never use a recipe like I'm channeling my grandma.
- •Cranberry sauceOnce I discovered it didn't come from a can and was sliced according to the can rings I became a big fan. This gets a high billing for its post Thanksgiving condiment status on sandwiches.
- •Broccoli Rice CasseroleA Mad Men level classic casserole that combines frozen broccoli, rice, processed cheese, celery and onion, and cream of mushroom soup. It looks as good as the ingredients sound, but it's a piece of my childhood.
- •RollsAre they a side dish? Either way they are a highlight.
- •Sweet Potatoes (no marshmallows)Controversial maybe, but I don't like marshmallows. My grandma puts this brown sugar streusel topping on her sweet potatoes. It's fantastic and even less healthy than the marshmallow kind.
- •Green beansSince I was old enough to know my parents were tricking me by calling them "green ronis" as if they were a pasta I've disliked this vegetable. However, I'm the one that makes them every year for the holidays.
- •Mashed potatoesMy least fav. Just a conduit for gravy if you ask me.