Things That Taste Like Childhood
Inspired by @gwcoffey
- •Shrimp CocktailMy grandma would latch onto a food and we would have it at every meal. She went all out and served the shrimp cocktail in the little bowls with ice on the bottom and we used shrimp forks. (This was in a very small town in the middle of Missouri. We were not fancy people.)Those shrimp forks are some of my prized possessions now.
- •Hamburger HelperMostly the Romanoff flavor. It was easy for my mom after work and we liked it. Her secret was to add a little sour cream. I still crave it sometimes, but haven't made it myself.
- •Apple sauceAlways served with fish sticks for some reason in our house. 🤔
- •Baked fish or anything with lemon pepperEven the smell sends me back to our kitchen in the 80s when my dad was on his orange roughy with lemon pepper health kick.
- •Apple Cinnamon Instant Quaker OatmealThe first thing I made for myself.
- •Pina Colada CakeA cake we first had on a vacation to Florida. My mom still makes me one every year for my birthday.
- •Taco SaladThe meal we would make with my other grandma when we played cooking show.