Quotes and Lyrics That Defined My Junior High Existence
Like most teens, I used lyrics/quotes from movies and TV shows to make sense of my teen angst/breakups/friend fights/parental anger/etc during the late 90s. I would find them, dissect every word and then use Gelly Roll pens to document them in composition notebooks. These quotes were my bible. Here are a few favorites.
- •I hate it when you make me laugh — Even worse when you make me cry. I hate it when you're not around. And the fact that you didn't call. But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you — Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all. - Kat Stratford - 10 Things I Hate About YouI wrote poems just like this in 10th grade English.
- •You spend all your time preaching about waiting for love. Well here it is. Right in front of you & you're going to turn your back on it. So I guess we're just fucked. I'll move on. But you're going to have to live the rest of your life knowing that you've turned your back on love & that makes you a hypocrite. Have a nice life. - Cruel IntentionsSebastian Volmont gave me all the feels in 9th grade. This was the greatest movie of the 90s. Gossip Girl 1.0 and the reason I wanted to move to NY.
- •And every time she sneezes I believe it's it's love and Oh lord.... I'm not ready for this sort of thing - Counting Crows - Anna BeginsCounting Crows were my favorite band of all time for more than a decade thanks to Adam Duritz's lyrical gems. I loved everything about him and his dreadlocks.
- •We bit our lips. She looked out the window. Rolling tiny balls of napkin paper. I played a quick game of chess with the salt and pepper shaker. - @john Mayer - My Stupid MouthThere are far too many @john quotes in these books. Room for Squares came out in 10th grade and I was convinced every track was written for me. Since he's on the app and there's a slight chance he may see this, I'm just going to leave this here and move on.
- •Searching for a boy in high school, is like searching for meaning in a Pauly Shore movie. - Cher in CluelessI didn't understand this at the time, but I knew finding a nice guy was difficult so I wrote this quote down.
- •Have you ever confused a dream with life? Or stolen something when you have the cash? Have you ever been blue? Or thought your train moving while sitting still? Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it was the 60s. Or maybe I was just a girl... interrupted. - Susanna in Girl InterruptedThis is teen angst personified. Also, I love Angelina.
- •When I saw you going for Jen's hand... it's not like I wanted to be the one holding your hand. I just didn't want her holding it. - Joey in Dawson's Creek
- •You're a virgin who can't drive. - Tai in CluelessFrom then on, getting my license with losing my virginity were inexplicably tied.
- •To be continued... I have journals upon journals of these things.