Imaginary romances on my imaginary world vacation
My dream is to travel the world, so obviously as a romantic-comedy obsessed 21 year old my true dream is to fall in love while vacationing through Europe. This is my imaginary version of how that all goes down ✌🏻️
- •EnglandMy dream destination is where I begin my trip! Taking a midnight Jack the Ripper tour with my mother, I bump into James— a Hugh Dancy look alike from Ireland who is taking the tour so he can write an article on it, as he's a journalist 👍🏻 We joke about how lame the tour is (though very fun) but I genuinely end up getting scared by the in-costume tour guide, James catches me mid-trip. We don't exchange numbers or grab a pint (as I'm with my mom), he disappears before I can say thanks.
- •IrelandMy 2 brothers and I are in a pub, tired after a long day of touring castles with parents. Brothers have insisted we have Irish whiskey, which immediately has me drunker than I've ever been in my life. As I sway to the bar to order 2nds, James appears and insists on paying our tab. I insist he doesn't which he takes as rude, but he laughs and I go home with him. We have tea the next day but we don't really click, I write our exchange off as my drunken stupidity. I lose my hat somewhere.
- •FranceWe visit the Louvre as a family but I go back alone later and meet Gregoire. He is charming and has better English than I do French. We kiss by the water and spend the next few days meeting at cafes. On the last day of my trip to France I find out he's been engaged to a leggy woman named Yvonne who is amused by our innocent affair, "Americans are so funny." We end on friendly terms, though I am confused by Yvonne's coolness with something I was slightly hurt by.
- •SpainThere is no romance in Spain for me! Instead, my brothers and I get kicked out of the La Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona for being rambunctious. In later years I look back on this short three-day leg of the trip with the most nostalgia.
- •GermanyWe stay with family in Germany and spend our time in chocolate shops and resisting all tourist attractions. My aunt's friend's husband has a handsome brother (Friederic) who owns a dairy farm not far outside of town. I laugh a lot and am thankful for the fresh air there. He's gone for a few days, leaving me to wonder both where he is and whether I could be happy living so far from my family in America, when Friederic comes back it is with his wife and children. Why no one told me this idk.
- •PolandMy mom and I travel leave the fam in Germany while we go to visit Auschwitz. It is an incredibly moving experience that leaves me crying—no, ugly sobbing. I sit on a bench outside the service center searching for a tissue in my bag when a hand extends offering me one, my eyes travel up the arm and I'm disappointed to see its James. It's awk. He asks when I'm heading home, which I take as a hint that he's waiting for me to leave. We part on a misunderstanding and I wish I could stop crying.
- •SwedenThe last stop on our trip. It turns out I'm an atrocious skier and end up with a sprained wrist, much to my family's amusement. The trip ends on a high note, though, with hot chocolates in the hospital room with my fav people in the world.
- •AmericaWe arrive home to a ridiculous amount of mail in my name, which I ignore for a few days as I re-assimilate back into my perfectly average life. When I finally open my mail I'm floored by the letters from James explaining his horror at our awkward outings after our night together and his informing me that his last day in America was the day I ignored his letters. I'm bummed and consider a dramatic trip to the airport but write it off as too whimsical.
- •BUT...There is a telling knock at the door, but it is only my brother holding a package. "I think this was meant for you, showed up at my place this morning." I open it and am shocked to see my favorite hat and a lovely note from James with his number. He visits the US every month for a weekend, we fall in love despite his seriousness and my general ridiculousness. I convince him to move near my family, we marry in the Spring, and honeymoon in Russia. It's swell and we vaca in the UK regularly 👍🏻