ARTISTS WHO DESERVE YOUR LOVE AND PATRONAGE
I am a firm believer in the idea that life is best undertaken with enthusiasm, and I am generally enthusiastic about a lot of people. here are some of them who happen to make art that I strongly feel deserves a wider audience, i.e. everyone
- •The Silver Jewsspecifically David Berman, who is, in my mind, one of the best American songwriters to ever live. "I can't raise hell for two" and "There must be a Spanish word for this feeling" are my two favorite Silver Jews lyrics. I want to get them somehow into the Constitution. AMERICAN WATER is the classic album, but I'm partial to BRIGHT FLIGHT and THE NATURAL BRIDGE
- •Harry Mathewsone of my five favorite writers. the only American member of the Oulipo. plays ecstatically with art and circumstance. pretended to be in the CIA. probably the coolest human being
- •Joe SwanbergDRINKING BUDDIES is my EAT PRAY LOVE. I have no idea what this means, but I'm into it
- •Renata AdlerSPEEDBOAT is like a blade that'll slice you apart and then you'll realize you're better off for it, even as you're like, "wait, where is my arm"
- •Ana Lily Amirpourif there was a scene in a movie last year that you had to see, it was the disco ball scene in A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT, and Amirpour's next movie, which is about CANNIBALS and has a LOVE STORY and features KEANU REEVES, is going to win a new Oscar given to films that are too cool
- •David Marksonone of the great New York postmodernists and a chronicler of Art in the way that only a true mandarin can be. WITTGENSTEIN'S MISTRESS influenced DFW a bunch, if that helps persuade you
- •Kate Lyn Sheilshe is so good in THE COMEDY and THE HEART MACHINE! she should be in everything!
- •Titus Andronicusthese guys are pretty well known but for my money they're the best rock and roll band alive so I won't rest comfortably until they're known as THAT
- •Elaine MayI think MIKEY AND NICKY might be my favorite movie? I mean, it's not quite, BARTON FINK is my favorite movie, but it's definitely in the top 10. Elaine May is the best
- •Hop Alongi don't want to give Hop Along a genre because music genres are tired and confusing but let's just say they're like a small dog that can play guitar and sing, and I mean this in all of the nicest ways it could possibly be meant