My favorite West Wing episode
Galileo (season 2 episode 9)
- •I know the whole show is amazing, but I have a special place in my heart for this episode.
- •NASA sends a probe to Mars and the president is supposed to host a live stream of the landing.Schoolchildren will call in and ask questions. But they lose the signal
- •There's an explosion at a Russian missile silo when some ex soldiers try to steal a nuclear warheadDrama with Leo and the Russian ambassador
- •A soldier's been nominated to be on a US stamp, but his views on Puerto Rican independence make him controversial
- •And Charlie told a reporter the president doesn't like green beans. So now there's an electoral issue in Oregon.
- •Listen to these quotations. This is why it's my favorite.
- •Charlie vs CJ on green beansC.J. Cregg: This is a serious thing now. Charlie Young: I'm sorry I mouthed off to a reporter but you're out of your mind. C.J. Cregg: No, I'm... Charlie Young: Education's a serious thing. Crime, jobs, national security. In 18 months I've been to Oregon four times and not a single person I've met there has been stupid. C.J. Cregg: Everybody's stupid in an election year, Charlie. Charlie Young: No, everybody gets treated stupid in an election year, C.J.
- •Sam and Mallory about why we went to MarsMallory O'Brian: And we went to the moon. Do we really have to go to Mars? Sam Seaborn: Yes. Mallory O'Brian: Why? Sam Seaborn: 'Cause it's next. 'Cause we came out of the cave, and we looked over the hill and we saw fire; and we crossed the ocean and we pioneered the west, and we took to the sky. The history of man is hung on a timeline of exploration and this is what's next.
- •And finally, my favorite: CJ Cregg on why the president shouldn't cancel the live stream simply because the probe is missing. (It needs two bullets.)We have at our disposal a captive audience of schoolchildren. Some of them don't go to the blackboard or raise their hand 'cause they think they're going to be wrong. I think you should say to these kids, "You think you get it wrong sometimes, you should come down here and see how the big boys do it." I think you should tell them you haven't given up hope and that it may turn up, but, in the meantime, you want NASA to put its best people in a room and you want them to start building Galileo 6.
- •.Some of them will laugh and most of them won't care but for some, they might honestly see that it's about going to the blackboard and raising your hand. And that's the broader theme.