Things Gentrifiers Say
I live in Crown Heights, Brooklyn and I grew up here too. You may have heard that it's being gentrified. Here are things I've heard my new neighbors say.
- 1.When I moved here, there was NOTHING here. I mean, like NO one lived here. (Said while Black people, who've lived here for 50 yrs, look on in disbelief).
- 2.I know you're eating, but the bathroom is super sketch so I'm gonna change my baby here, ok-great-thanks. (Changes dirty diaper at the table, next to my food)
- 3.When I first moved here, I thought (ethnic restaurant X) had the best (ethnic food X), but now I realize that (ethnic restaurant X) actually has the best (ethnic food X). It's MUCH more authentic. We don't have anything like this back home.
- 4.Is this vegan? Seriously, is this vegan? (Said to an unamused Jamaican lady at a roti shop)
- 5.Is the cat calling bad? Sure. But that's just how they communicate. They don't KNOW any better. It's actually racist if you complain about it.
- 6.Can I pet your dog? (Doesn’t wait for an answer and pets my pit bull)
- 7.My Dad says I have to have a job for at least a few hours a week, so like… bartending, right? (Ignores me, while I wait for a drink)
- 8.Oh my God. This neighborhood was sooo cool, until all these WHITE people started moving in. (Has lived here for 6 months)