February 2nd is Groundhog Day. An tradition in the US where if a particular groundhog comes out from its slumber burrow and sees it's shadow supposedly there will six more weeks of winter. If not then an early Spring. Let's review....
- •Groundhog Day 2017. So far no casualties for groundhogs or humans but predictions for the season varied from rodent to rodent.Gen. Beauregard Lee did not see his shadow in Georgia today.
- •State Island Chuck who is actually a female-natch also predicted an early Spring.
- •But Punxsutawney Phil ever the pessimist predicts six more weeks of winter. ❄️❄️❄️More on Groundhog Day 👇
- •NYC has a groundhog named Staten Island Chuck. He famously bit Mayor Bloomberg in 2009.Perhaps Chuck didn't agree with Bloomberg's policies? His never ending term? Whatever the reason the Mayor rarely attended the Groundhog Day ceremonies after this umm tiff.
- •In 2014 newly elected Mayor De Blasio drops Chuck! Mayor laughs! Groundhog later dies!!Turns out due to Chuck' s temper he was replaced that year with Charlotte. She unfortunately did not survive the fall. May she rest in peace. The following year De Blasio watched from a safe distance.
- •In Wisconsin one time Mayor Freund was bit on the ear by Jimmy the Groundhog!Why did someone hold Jimmy up to his ear? So he could tell him a secret? Or do his Mike Tyson impression?
- •The most famous Groundhog is of course Punxsutawney Phil from Pennsylvania.While Phil seems to have a better disposition towards Groundhog Day he is only accurate about 50% of the time.
- •Phil and the day are probably best known from the now classic Bill Murray 1993 film "Groundhog Day"In one scene Phil ( Bill Murray) kidnaps Phil (Groundhog) and takes him on a high speed car chase killing them both. Of course the next day they are both fine.
- •For fans of the movie "Groundhog Day" it is on AMC for the rest of the day.
- •Other famous groundhogs includeBuckeye Chuck, Flatiron Freddy and Potomac Phil.
- •Good luck to all the groundhogs!You are gonna need it!