WHAT I'M THANKFUL FOR 2015
- •My family, duh.My mom for her endless devotion to making sure everyone's okay and for her endless snark. My dad for his work ethic and good heart. My sister Kaley for her relentless individuality and her unparalleled empathy. My sister Lindsey for her perseverance and attention to her craft. My grandma for her liveliness and spirit.
- •My dogs.Pemby, who's been our favorite gay boy trapped in a dog's body for three thanksgivings now. And Fitzy, the new addition who appears to be just as gay as Pemby.
- •The opportunity to teach rising 9th and 10th graders poetry this past summer, and the fact that I get to do it all over again next summer.Young people will save our world. These kids were the most curious, inventive, empathetic, loving people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. I read work by them that was more thoughtful than most work by grown adults.
- •The X Files.Mulder and Scully have kept me company during some shaky times the past few months. Plus they're both so beautiful and have the most calming voices.
- •Cool Beans, Drip, and all other Columbia coffee shops that I've shamelessly frequented up to three times a day.Especially the really nice guy who works at Cool Beans who never looks at me funny when I come back for another coffee less than an hour after leaving Cool Beans.
- •Good friends.
- •Good music.Lana Del Rey's Honeymoon, Childish Gambino's Kuaui, A$AP Rocky's At Long Last ASAP, Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly, Beach House's Thank Your Lucky Stars, Sufjan Stevens' Carrie & Lowell, Grimes' Art Angels, and a few more albums I'm sure I'm forgetting.
- •Jackson TriceMy BFF who's saved my life a thousand times over and who is the best person I know even all the way in Massachusetts.
- •Social mediaSo I can do things like this even though nobody wants to read it. 👻