FIRST MAJOR NEWS STORY I REMEMBER LIVING THROUGH AS A CHILD
Inspired by @Peace_Out_List
- •This was a major story in my hometown and in my family. Most people will have never heard of it.
- •It was June 1994. I was in the 1st grade.
- •Someone broke into my grandmother's home, beat and raped her, and then killed her with her own gun.
- •She wasn't found for a couple of days.
- •My mother was notified at work but they couldn't contact my father so he was one of the last people to find out about his own mother's death.
- •I don't remember how our parents told us. But I was very close with my granny so I can imagine it was very hard for them.
- •The man who did it killed himself when the police knocked on his door.
- •It became a huge story in the news. News vans and reporters were at the funeral.
- •I remember watching the news that night and thinking it was so cool that my parents were on tv.
- •I never really knew the whole story until after I graduated from college. We were moving and my dad found the newspaper clipping. I read it and was in total shock at what I never really knew.
- •I think about her everyday. About how our lives might be different if she were still here. About what a fantastic woman she was. About what I missed out on when that man took her away from us. About how truly important and precious family is.
- •I've promised myself that if I ever have a daughter I'll name her in memory of the best woman in my life- Granny Sylvia