WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
- •4: ArtistThis was before I learned to write.
- •5: WhaleI actually asked my mom if she would make me a whale costume for Halloween. She said no.
- •6-10: AstronautIf you asked me during elementary school what I wanted to be when I grew up I would have said this. I had books about astronomy & my dad bought a telescope so we could look at the moon up close. Also Saturn. And Haley's comet. It was awesome.
- •11-13: TeacherI loved my teachers. I would help them set up their classrooms & plan projects over the summer & during breaks. I am Facebook friends with my 4th grade teacher who I firmly believe is one of the badassest ladies on the planet.
- •14-18: JournalistLol this isn't really a thing anymore. In high school I did a program with the local newspaper where we shadowed reporters, editors & graphic designers and wrote our own special issue of the newspaper. Now all those people we shadowed are unemployed. No one told me that the livejournal I was keeping at the time was closer to what I would be doing in the future than anything I saw at the paper.
- •18-21: Who knows?I was in college. I did assistant teaching, writing, and editing but the real world felt very far away.
- •22-25: ProfessorI was in grad school. Research was fun. As was the idea of living in the college environment forever. I went to an idyllic liberal arts school in a town that felt like Stars Hollow so I don't blame myself for wanting that. But academia was not the right place for me. When one of my profs told me I was a 'dupe of capitalism' I knew it was time to move into marketing.
- •26-present: MarketerThis is what I am now and I love it and I'm good at it and sometimes you just know when you've found the right thing. I can design, write, research and teach, so it's kind of the perfect combination of all my past ambitions. Sorry for the cheese fest but this is the truth.